People are increasingly taking 5-HTP supplement to improve moods, relieve stress and improve sleep quality. But are there 5-HTP side effects?
5-HTP or 5-Hydroxytryptophan is an herbal supplement made from the seeds of Griffonia simplicifolia, an African plant. The supplement serves to boost the levels of serotonin. In the brain, serotonin has vital role in enhancing positive mood, regulating appetite and doing other important functions.
Why there are more people take 5-HTP supplement?
To produce serotonin in the brain, 5-HTP is required as the forming substance. Unfortunately, 5-HTP is not contained in the foods we eat everyday. That’s why people then turn to 5-HTP supplement to obtain normal serotonin levels.
5-HTP is an herbal supplement
5-HTP is not a drug, it’s considered an herbal supplement. According to studies, many people have got significant health benefits after taking the supplement. It’s reported that taking 5-HTP supplement daily in the dosage 50 to 3,000mg can relieve depression, cure headaches, overcome insomnia and even normalize body weight.
5-HTP side effects
Although proven giving health benefits, there are several side effects of 5-HTP supplement you should consider.
- Too high 5-HTP dosage may lead to excessive serotonin levels, the result will be This creates anxiety and heart problems.
- 5-HTP has potential to interfere with drugs. If you take 5-HTP and drugs at the same time, the drugs will no longer be effective.
- Most doctors don’t recommend 5-HTP for people with Down syndrome. The supplement is suspected to have a link with s
- People who take 5-HTP in long term are reported to have excessive muscle tenderness.
- Some 5-HTP users experience minor side effects, such as drowsiness, digestive problems and erectile dysfunction.
Not all 5-HTP users experience the above side effects, as everyone’s body condition is different. 5-HTP is actually a safe supplement since it’s made from natural ingredient; it only requires you to take it responsibly.If you have a plan to take 5-HTP supplement, visit a reputable doctor to ask the best dosage for you in order to prevent side effects.